“Our mission is to be a church community committed to pursuing healthy, authentic relationships with God and each other.”
“Our vision is that we become a community of individuals transformed by the life of Christ. We believe this transformation happens by the power of the Holy Spirit in the context of authentic community life. For each of us, this new life begins with salvation as we come to repentance and a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. We believe that personal healing and the process of restoration continues as we pursue true worship, biblical instruction, prayer, and authentic relationships. We believe our destiny emerges as each one discovers his or her own God-given potential and uses that gifting to help others experience the amazing grace of God.”
- Be Real . The amazing grace of God frees us to live honest, loving, and fearless lives.
- Belong. The amazing grace of God compels us to live connected with Him and with others in ongoing relationships … knowing, accepting, forgiving and challenging one another.
- Become. The amazing grace of God empowers us to pursue personal growth so that our character is changed to be like Christ’s.
- Be Called. The amazing grace of God leads us to discover our unique potential to effectively serve Him and others, becoming all we can be in Christ Jesus.
Statement of Faith
There is detailed sermon series on our church website, which is clgonline.org. Go to the search icon in the upper right corner - a magnifying glass - and type in “Pillars of Faith.” I will also embed links at the beginning of each bullet points(the bold, red text) that will take you to the appropriate sermon.
- The Bible: We believe the Holy Bible to be the inspired Word of God, inerrant in its original manuscripts. It is our standard for faith and practice and the measure by which all personal revelation is to be evaluated.
- God: We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. He is Creator, Redeemer and the Sovereign Ruler of the universe.
- Jesus: We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His sinless life, His miracles, His vicarious death, His atoning blood, His bodily resurrection, His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and His personal return in power and glory.
- Sin: We believe that sin is disobedience to God’s inspired Word and the rejection of His authority. All have sinned and are, therefore, lost and separated from God.
- Salvation: We believe that salvation of lost and sinful man comes through faith in Jesus Christ. When people repent (leave their sins and turn to Christ), He forgives their sins and imparts eternal life. This personal experience is necessary to enter the Kingdom of heaven.
- Holy Spirit: We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells believers, confirming their salvation and enabling them to bear godly fruit. We also believe in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, which empowers believers to have a bold and effective witness and manifest His gifts in their daily lives.
- The Church: We believe that the Church is Christ’s body in the earth and should reveal His character and love to the world. We believe the Universal Church consists of all believers, while the Local Church is a body of believers joined together in a specific area with a common vision.
- Eternal Destiny: We believe in the resurrection of the saved and the lost, and that both will stand before the judgment seat of Christ; the saved will enter into eternal life and the lost into eternal damnation.
- Sanctity Of Life: We believe that all human life is sacred and created by God in His image. Human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including pre-born babies, the aged, the physically or mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception through natural death. We are therefore called to defend, protect, and value all human life. (Ps 139.)
- Marriage and Sexuality: We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. Together they reflect the image and nature of God. (Gen 1:26-27.) Marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman as delineated in Scripture (Gen 2:18-25). It is intended to be a covenant by which one man and one woman unite themselves for life in a single, exclusive union, ordered toward the well-being of the spouses and designed to be the environment for the procreation and upbringing of children.
Church Life: The Smaller Pictures
These are different areas within the church that are vital to our ongoing church life. If you have questions, see the people listed in parentheses.
- Children’s Ministry and Nursery (Karl and Kim Meszaros)
- Youth Group (Dan and Emily Slater)
- Deacons (Pete Theil)
- Small Groups (Scottt and Lauri Norris)
- Sunday classes (11:15) this semester will be taught by Scott Smith (Systematic Theology); Shirley Beadle (Deuteronomy); and whoever preaches (Message +)
- Wednesday night class (6:30) this semester is Love and Respect, led by Craig and Wendy Wares.
- Music Ministry (Dan Slater)
- Ushers and Greeters (Pete Theil)
- Sound (Scott Smith)
- Lights/Computer (Aubrey Smith
- Lots of other things happen: basketball, occasional men’s and women’s events, etc. We will keep you posted!
These are ares of outreach where our church is involved in some fashion – money, time, resources, etc. Once again, contacts are listed in parentheses.
- Thomas Judd – in conjunction with Munson’s Thomas Judd Center, we put on Thanksgiving and summer picnic for people in Northern MI with HIV/AIDS (Brenda Matherson).
- Goodwill Inn – our church serves meals on Friday evenings (Sheila Weber).
- Safe Harbor – We do not host in our building, but we provide food, time, and overnight presence for the homeless community in the places that do host (Dick Vanderley).
- Care Packages – We assemble and mail packages to soldiers and students (Marilyn Dear).
- Single Moms Ministry – They meet in our building once a month; they are currently looking for some help with security (Ted Smith).
- Pregnancy Care Center and Right to Life - There are occasional opportunities for involvement with finances, presence, and service (Sheila Weber).
- There are always opportunities here in our church: cleaning, projects for building improvement; help in the office, etc. (Pete Theil)
- JPUSA (in Chicago)
- Costa Rica
- We have historical connections with other places around the world; don’t be surprised if you hear of occasional announcement concerning ways to interact with or support their ministries as well.
Our Focus For 2016: Hope
“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.” (1 Peter 1:3-5)
“Therefore, since we have been declared righteous by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Also through Him, we have obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. And not only that, but we also rejoice in our afflictions, because we know that affliction produces endurance, endurance produces proven character, and proven character produces hope. This hope does not disappoint, because God's love has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For while we were still helpless, at the appointed moment, Christ died for the ungodly. For rarely will someone die for a just person-though for a good person perhaps someone might even dare to die. But God proves His own love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us! Much more then, since we have now been declared righteous by His blood, we will be saved through Him from wrath. For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, [then how] much more, having been reconciled, will we be saved by His life!” (Romans 5:1-10)